Arezzo a beautiful city located in the Tuscany region of Italy.
Arezzo has a rich history, stunning architecture, and a vibrant cultural scene. Here are some highlights and things to explore:
1. Arezzo Piazza Grande:
- The central square of Arezzo, Piazza Grande, is a UNESCO World Heritage site. It is surrounded by medieval buildings and is the heart of the city. The square is home to the Vasari Loggia, the Town Hall, and the Santa Maria della Pieve church.
2. Basilica of San Francesco:
- This basilica is famous for housing the remarkable frescoes by Piero della Francesca, depicting the Legend of the True Cross. The paintings are considered masterpieces of Renaissance art.
3. Roman Amphitheatre:
- There is also a well-preserved Roman amphitheater, located near the cathedral. Although only a part of it is visible today, it provides insight into the city’s ancient history.
4. Cathedral of Arezzo (Duomo):
- The Cathedral is dedicated to Saint Donatus and is known for its beautiful stained glass windows and impressive architecture. The interior houses works of art by artists such as Vasari and della Robbia.
5. Museo Archeologico Nazionale:
- This archaeological museum displays artifacts from Arezzo and the surrounding region, including Etruscan and Roman artifacts. It’s a great place to learn about the city’s ancient history.
6. Casa Vasari (Vasari House):
- Giorgio Vasari, a famous Italian painter and architect, was born in Arezzo. Casa Vasari is his former home and is now a museum showcasing his works and personal belongings.
7. Antiques Market:
- Arezzo is known for its monthly antiques market, held on the first weekend of each month. It attracts dealers and collectors from all over Italy and Europe, making it a great place to find unique treasures.
8. Medieval and Renaissance Architecture:
- Wander through the streets to admire the medieval and Renaissance architecture. The city is filled with charming alleys, historic buildings, and picturesque squares.
9. Food and Wine:
- Explore the local Tuscan cuisine in Arezzo’s restaurants and trattorias. Try traditional dishes such as ribollita, pappa al pomodoro, and bistecca alla fiorentina. Don’t forget to pair your meal with a glass of Chianti, as Tuscany is renowned for its wines.
10. Surrounding Countryside:
- Take a day trip to the surrounding countryside, where you can enjoy the picturesque landscapes of Tuscany. Vineyards, olive groves, and charming villages are scattered throughout the region.
Arezzo offers a blend of history, art, and culture, making it a delightful destination for travelers interested in exploring the beauty of Tuscany.
Have some of the best of Italy right on your coffee table with this pictorial coffee table book.
An excellent gift idea.
Grab Your Copy at Amazon here